Day 6: Saturday 9/14/2019


9/14/2019 -- My first 5 days of not working; of officially not typing dc up --build app; have been wonderful. And I just heard my daughter (baby A) say this to her mom in the kitchen...
"It's so satisfying... to just watch ice cubes melt."
I didn't catch the context, but who cares? That is gold. My daughters (aka: babies A + B) are the most exceptional human beings I've ever met. Baby A, at the age of 12, has a frigging resume. Her twin, baby B, designs quizzes and word problems in her spare time, and just reminded me what the word paroxysm means.

8:15 pm -- We just got back from Geido, a fantastic low key Japanese place on Flatbush Ave we've been going to for more than 10 years. At some point after the gyoza and mushroom udon arrived, I heard this...
"Don't ever underestimate me again." -- baby A to baby B.
I put down my tea, and looked across the table. Baby A held a large disc of spider roll in her chopsticks.
"I can eat this whole thing in 1 bite. You don't believe me?"
Any way, I'm straying off-topic. Back to the sabbatical update...

5 day report card: B+

  • I've posted 4 short shorts to the blog, and lined up a few more
  • I wrote the first stanza of a song
  • I've made considerable progress on my linkedin profile - something I've completely ignored for 5 years. To be 100% honest, I'm not even sure I'm using it correctly. I'm like my 80 year old dad trying to understand the worldwide web
  • I asked my wife out on a date two days ago -- she initially declined my suggested venue -- but I'll be revising my offer later today
  • I've spent quite a bit of time with babies A + B in the mornings and evenings, making their lunch, dropping them off and picking them up (6 pickups and dropoffs for the week)
  • I've gone on 2 runs, one of which was 5 miles. My running has been a lot weaker than I imagined it would be, but has a high degree of dependency on the weather. I'll be sure to get in at least another 5 miles over the weekend though.
  • I've done a few very tough gymnastics drills involving straight-arm and wrist strength development, and static holds
  • I've had 1 weight workout at Chelsea Piers - and actually spotted Colin Kaepernick doing his thing up on the 2nd floor. I'd like to go again tonight or tomorrow for a first crack at getting a baseline measurement of my primary lifts
  • I've gone to jiu jitsu 4 times

Comments

Post a Comment