Day 8: Tuesday 9/17/2019



7:59 am Chelsea Piers -- I just walked into the gym, got my coffee, and sat down in the business lounge. I'm wearing shorts and a microfiber pullover, but with the temperature by the water at 63º, I actually felt under dressed walking over here along the west side highway. This morning, I'll be doing a weight workout that brings me close to my one rep max (1RM) for the lifts that I use as key indicators of strength training, and which I've neglected for more than a year. They are, in order of importance:

Note: The lifts below serve as a concise list, which in my opinion, have a high correlation to overall strength development. They do not exhaust the definition of important strength indicators.

Key Lifts + Predictions for benchmark 1

  1. Barbell deadlift
    • 225 lbs should be achievable today 
    • still a little concerned about my lower back though
  2. Weighted chin up
    • 75 lbs - 85 lbs today
  3. Standing military press
    • 100 lbs 
    • Should not be a problem
  4. Flat bench bench press
    • 165 lbs ?

Results

All lifts exceeded predictions. 
  1. Barbell deadlift: 265 lbs (117% of target)
  2. Weighted chin up: 80 lbs (100% of target)
  3. Standing military press: 115 lbs (115% of target)
  4. Flat bench press: 190 lbs (115% of target)
You can see a few of the reps here...

Quick explanatory note on my current level of conditioning

I'm by no means out of shape, but two areas of fitness have seriously degraded over the last year and a half. They are:
  1. Running
  2. Olympic weight lifting

Last known fitness inflection point

The first week of January 2018 was when things began to slide. On January 6, I recorded my last week of 30+ miles of running on Strava. It was also the last time I was regularly lifting heavy weights. I was the same body weight as I am today -- 150 lbs. Below are the kinds of things I was doing back then:
  • Running 40 miles a week
  • Running a long run of 12+ miles
  • Running a 6 mile training run < 48 minutes without feeling exhausted
  • Running 1 mile < 6:20
  • Deadlifting over 275 lbs for multiple reps
  • 7 - 8 consecutive muscle ups on the rings
  • Bench pressing over 205 lbs
  • Military pressing over 120 lbs
  • Arm-only 15 foot rope climb with 30 lbs attached to waist
  • 25+ consecutive pullups

Last night

Just before bed, I did 10 minutes or so of planche practice on the parallettes. I think I've managed to get my forward tilt to around 26º - 27º. My wrists definitely feel stronger and more flexible. I'll be posting a couple of photos and/or videos of this progression when I get some time to put it all together.

Comments